UK Partner Visa
You need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you want to stay (‘remain’) with a family member or partner (eg. spouse) who’s living in the UK permanently and you’re:
- Already in the UK
- From outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
You can apply if you’re eligible and you need to:
- Extend your existing ‘family of a settled person’ visa
- Switch to a ‘family of a settled person’ visa
Your family member or partner can:
- Be a British citizen
Have settled in the UK
- Be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
You may also be able to apply to remain with your child if they have lived in the UK for at least 7 years.
- You may need to apply in a different way if:
You’re outside the UK
- Your partner’s from the EEA or Switzerland
Your partner originally had a temporary visa as a worker
- You’re the victim of domestic violence or your partner has died
You applied for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa before 9 July 2012
- You want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
How long it will take to get your UK partner visa?
- A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
- You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- If your supporting documents need to be verified
If you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (eg if you have a criminal conviction)
How long you can stay?
- You can stay for 2 and a half years. You’ll be able to apply to extend again towards the end of that
- You can also apply to settle permanently in the UK once you’re eligible for the UK partner Visa.
You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:
- Work (you can’t work if you’re extending a visa to get married or to become civil partners)
- Bring some family members (‘dependants’)
- You can’t usually get benefits or other public funds
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or send us your completed assessment form with remarks or call our hotline 852-3568 1436 for more information. Our immigration consultants will reply your inquiry and provide you with FREE phone consultation service.